Tastes like Cuba

|
Since we've entered the age of technology and are now using video to show you what's going on behind the scenes and in the brains of our artists, I have been tapped to be official videographer. Needless to say, I am learning as I go. But the cool thing about making these videos is that I get to hang out with the awesome people who write, direct, act in and design the work that's on our stages. And sometimes they even cook for me.

On Friday I shot Eduardo Machado, the playwright of The Cook, and Michael Domitrovich, co-author of Eduardo's memoir/cookbook, making a traditional Cuban dish called Morros y Cristianos. I wish I could have left the footage unedited because what's not in the video is Michael talking about his first cooking experiment (blueberry muffins—his mom made the muffins, he put in the blueberries), Eduardo pretending to be downing vodka, and the two of them discussing how you might make this meal for breakfast.

Both of them were so incredibly funny and kind, and their food smelled amazing, even for a vegetarian like me (by the way, Michael said you can substitute the bacon for a 1/3 cup of olive oil).

No comments: